If your doctor has requested that you have some tests they will make a plan with you about what to do next.
If you have not been given a plan please ask for one to help you manage your problem effectively.
It is still advised that you make contact with the surgery to find out your results to ensure that nothing is missed.
Getting your test results
If your test results show that you need more tests or treatment, we will contact you.
Once a doctor has reviewed your test results, you can view them:
- In your NHS account (through the NHS website or NHS App)
- In your SytemOnline account
- Phone or visit us between 10am to 4pm and we will tell you what the results are
Questions about your results
If you want to talk to someone about your results, fill out our online form PATCHS and someone will be in touch.
When will my results come back?
Most routine blood test will take 72hrs. The following Blood tests will take longer:
- Diabetes blood test (Hba1c) – 1 week
- Rheumatoid Arthritis blood test – 1 week
- Coeliac blood test (endomyssial antibody) – 2 weeks
- Vitamin D blood test – 3 weeks
Other tests will take:
Time for Result
|Chest Xray||10 days|
|Ultrasound Scan||10 days|
|Helicobacter Breath Test||1 week|
|Urine Sample||1 week|
|Sputum Sample||1 week|
|Stool Sample||1 week|
|Skin Scraping||Up to 3 months|
|Nail Clippings||Up to 3 months|
|Vaginal Swab Test||Up to 2 weeks|
|Smear Test||Up to 2 weeks|
|24 Hour Blood Pressure Monitoring||3 days|
|Home Blood Pressure||3 days|
Why have I been asked to have a repeat test?
If a doctor asks you to have a repeat test it is usually because:
- The result was borderline or unclear – so the doctor wants another sample to monitor the situation or to re-check
- The result is abnormal – and the doctor is unable to interpret the result without further tests, so has asked you to come in for more tests.
Please do not worry if the doctor has asked you for a repeat test, if there is a serious problem then the doctor will speak or request to see you directly.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.